Pages

I'm a dreamer at heart and often I like to fly by the seat of my pants.

I suffer from depression and have for most of my life. I am no longer willing to stay silent about it. My hope is to share with others about this disease so they might understand it a bit better.

"I dare to believe!"

Monday, February 16, 2009

Lessons From the Pecan Tree

Lessons from the Pecan Tree

Ahh, hasn’t the weather been beautiful lately (well for the most part).  It’s warming up!
Doesn’t if feel great?  Those rays of sunshine are beginning to stay with us a bit longer.
I love it!  I'm a sunshine sort of person, so the longer the daylight, the better I like it. (That’s another blog I will share at another time).  So back to the subject… if you spend anytime outside or traveling in you vehicle you will notice its looks like spring is popping up everywhere.  Redbud Trees and even some Dogwood trees are brightening up our landscapes with their beautiful blossoms.  You can even see some Azaleas beginning to bloom.  In fact we spread some wildflower seed last summer, and some of the little gals are pushing their way through the soil and showing their smiling little faces. All this is wonderful, and many will think:  “Yahoo, spring is here”.  But don’t be fooled my friends. Take a lesson from the wise Pecan Tree!

Years ago, Granddaddy (Wilbur Nobles) told me when we planted a Pecan tree: “now Bert, you keep an eye on this Pecan tree and it will always tell you when winter is over and spring is here, don’t be fooled by the other trees you see around”.  He continued: “you see, the Pecan tree will not open its leaves until the last freeze of winter is over”.
Well of course I was a bit leery of some of Granddaddy stories cuz he used to tell us some whoppers! (All of which were very entertaining… I have fond memories of Granddaddy)  Back to the story:  So I decided to put that Pecan to the test, as the years went by; one by one that Pecan tree NEVER let me down.  It’s been over 30 years since Granddaddy told me that story and to this day it stands true. 

Don’t be fooled by an imposter, rely on the real thing!!!

This story reminds me of the following scripture:

1 John 4:1-3
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

Enjoy the weather!

2 comments:

  1. I like that...I like how you tied it in with the verse too. I'll go check out the pecan that's near Pam's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bert, like this one too! There are so many neat things like this we can find in nature. Just shows how intricately and perfectly God has created things! I have a pecan tree in my yard, I'll have to use that as my new winter guage!
    Love Ya!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments... please feel free to share (-: