Pages

I'm a dreamer at heart and often I like to fly by the seat of my pants.

I suffer from depression and have for most of my life. I am no longer willing to stay silent about it. My hope is to share with others about this disease so they might understand it a bit better.

"I dare to believe!"

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hugs Are Healthy

Hugs are Healthy

So I was thinking about the benefits of hugs and through some research found a few things that have been said of the “Hug”.  It seems most of what I found, has been what I have personally known for a long time.  It is especially important when it comes to dealing with those that suffer from depression.

Did you know if a new born infant is left only to be touched when necessary IE: feeding, changing etc. and there is no other physical touch, holding, hugging, cradling, almost always has a failure to thrive, do not grow properly and end up with severe social problems… IF they survive?


It’s been said by some researchers that we need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth I dare to say some of us are endanger of becoming extinct if this holds true.

Below are a few benefits I personally have found to be true.
  • A Hug opens doors to share our feelings with others.
  • A Hug says “you are important to me”.
  • A Hug helps ease the pain of loneliness.
  • A Hug can give strength to overcome fear.
  • A Hug assists in building self-esteem.
  • A Hug helps to release tension.
  • A Hug is portable; you carry it with you where ever you go.
  • The benefits of a hug continue even after the hug is released.
  • You can give a Hug anywhere.
  • You come equipped with what you need to give a hug. No cost involved.

There are some things we need to be aware of and be respectful to. Some folks just don’t like their “personal space” invaded.  If that’s the case, we need to ask permission to give them a hug.

There may be some instances when you truly feel a hug is necessary, tell the other person, “Ok, I just need you to know, I’m going to give you a hug now”, so they are not taken by surprise.

But what if you are not the “hugging” type of person? Some folks refer to it as a “touchy feely” type of person.

There are many people that are not the “hugging” type, if you are one of these people what you need to consider is:

  • Do you love someone who IS the “hugging” type?
  • Is there someone in your life who NEEDS the physical touch of a hug?
  • Is there someone in your life who suffers from depression?


If you can answer yes to any of these questions, then I would say “If you love them, and you value your relationship with this person, you will learn to share this life giving touch”.  


When you love someone who needs the physical touch of a hug, why would you not learn to share a hug? What is your lack of sharing this physical touch silently saying to them? Trust me on this one, your actions or lack of actions speaks a thousand times louder than your words.

And one last note: “a good hug just plain feels good”!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments... please feel free to share (-: